Attorney Tony Nguyen holds more than a decade of experience in personal injury law. At Tony Nguyen Law Firm, PLLC, in Austin, Texas, the attorney has represented thousands of people injured in automobile accidents. Here are 10 tips on what to do after an accident occurs.
1. Remain calm and check for bodily injuries. Call an ambulance when necessary.
2. Call the police, even if the accident is minor. It is useful to have a police report on file.
3. If possible, move cars to a safe area away from the flow of traffic. Turn on hazard lights, and put out cones or flares when available.
4. Check yourself for injuries and do not make statements regarding your injuries, except to emergency medical personnel.
5. Exchange information with the other driver, including contact and insurance information, registration and driver’s license details, and license plate and VIN numbers.
6. Gather contact information from witnesses.
7. Take detailed notes about the auto damage and accident scene and, if possible, take pictures. Record the weather conditions at the time of the accident.
8. Do not admit fault, and do not apologize to the other driver. Also, do not discuss the specific dollar amounts of your insurance coverage. Do not sign or initial any document except when it is for your insurance agent or the police.
9. Do not depart the scene of an accident before the police or other driver leave.
10. Seek a lawyer’s advice before accepting a settlement offer from an insurance company.